Biography from Wikipedia:
Alvin Ailey, Jr. (January 5, 1931 – December 1, 1989) was an American modern dancer and choreographer who founded the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater on 92nd street. He died of AIDS, at the age of 58.
Born in Rogers, Texas on January 5th, 1931, Alvin Ailey was introduced to dance by performances of the Katherine Dunham Dance Company and the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. His formal training in dance began with an introduction to Lester Horton's classes by his friend, Carmen de Lavallade.
When Mr. Ailey began creating dance, he drew upon his "blood memories" of Texas, the blues, spirituals and gospel as inspiration, which resulted in the creation of his most popular and critically acclaimed work - Revelations.
Although he created 79 ballets over his lifetime, Alvin Ailey maintained that his company was not exclusively a repository for his own work. Today, the company continues Mr. Ailey's mission by presenting important works of the past and commissioning new ones to add to the repertoire. In all, more than 200 works by over 70 choreographers have been performed by the Company.
Ailey tapped into his Sagittarian Ascendant to produce a prolific body of work. With Jupiter (the ruler of his Ascendant) conjunct Pluto on the cusp of his 8th House, this work continues through his legacy - the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
VHS Video Tapes
Music - CDs
- Ailey, Alvin, with A. Peter Bailey. Revelations: The Autobiography of Alvin Ailey. Secaucus, NJ: Carol Pub. Group, c1995.
- "Alvin Ailey," http://texas-on-line.com/graphic/alvinailey.htm
- "Alvin Ailey," http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history/honoree/ailey.html
- "Alvin Ailey," http://www.americandancefestival.org/scripps/ailey.html
- "Body and Soul: The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater," http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/nmah/ailey.htm
- Dunning, Jennifer, Alvin Ailey: A Life in Dance
- Zimmer, Elizabeth. "The Art of Belief: The Life of Alvin Ailey," http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/alvinailey/html/artists.html, PBS online, 1999.
all rights reserved in all media